These are the three pies I made today for friends and stuff. I posted photos of the first one social media and I already started getting messages and comments for the recipe (do every year cause this is like pie angels would eat). I figure this blog would be a good easy to remember place to keep the recipe if needed in the future and to share with others.
So the super easy recipe is below and I have added some thoughts. I originally got the recipe from Jim Burroway right before the holiday season three years ago. Jim rocks.
Whiskey Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pastry for 9-inch One-Crust Pie (use any recipe you fancy schmancy pants or buy a frozen pie shell like me.)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 cup pecan halves or broken pecans. (I personally like the halves :))
- 1 package (6 oz) chocolate chips (You can leave them out but then you would have to change the name of this recipe and that would suck.)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (or margarine, but that’s sick and only the Borg collective would do something so disgusting.)
- 1 cup corn syrup.
- 2 tablespoons of whiskey — MORE or less… but don’t go crazy. Jack Daniels is the sweet nectar of my people but you can use whatever whiskey you want. You could also use Bourbon too. I think that is how this recipe originated come to think of it.
- 3 large eggs
First, do a shot of Jack Daniels just to make sure it hasn’t spoiled on the shelf.
Then, heat oven to 375 deg, prepare pastry as necessary per instructions on the package.
Next, mix up some Jack & Coke in a nice glass with a moderate amount of ice. You will need the sustenance for the hard five minutes of mixing you are about to endure…
Now, beat the sugar, margarine, corn syrup, whiskey, salt and eggs in a medium bowl with wire whisk or hand beater until well blended. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into pastry-lined pie oven safe baking thing.
If you are like me, after having that initial shot, and IF you have finished your cocktail at this point, you will probably need to take a nap. If that is the case, make sure to set a loud timer for the next part…
Bake 40-50 minutes or until the center is set.
And then enjoy